Friday, July 30, 2010

Gift.

I stood in line. Standing, standing, standing...along with everyone else, I waited. The line moved slowly. One at a time, the man at the front handed everyone a box. Each box looked different - I could see different colours, shapes and sizes. I wondered what was in them. I wondered what mine would look like.
The line kept moving, I could see how happy the guy with the boxes was. He was ecstatic almost! This guy, who was freely giving away these things to people who didn't ask for them - and from what i could hear, didn't always say "thank you" - was incredibly happy and enthusiastic. As I got closer I could hear what he was saying to each person.

"This is just for you! It's totally unique and fits only your personality. I really hope you use it well and enjoy it!"
"I put this together with only you in mind. I knew it would fit you just right - I look forward to seeing you use it!"
"I really am excited about giving this gift to you - I'm looking forward to seeing you put it to great use!"

...so it's a gift. Each box has a gift in it. This guy is giving everyone free gifts! I LOVE free gifts! Free anything is awesome! And from what he's saying, they're great and really specific gifts!
As the line moved on and it got closer to my turn, my anticipation grew. What would this guy have picked out for me? What would my gift look like? The suspense was almost too much. The girl in front of me got a long and heavy looking bright canary yellow box. She smiled at the guy and moved on....my turn!

"This is yours. I really hope you'll enjoy it - I knew it was just for you, and I'm so excited to watch you use it! Enjoy." the guy said with a huge grin. I looked at the box. It was small, with curved edges. It was a soft shade of sunset red, but it felt like there was nothing in it. I looked up at his smiling face.
"That's it? What do I do with this thing?" I asked...a bit rude, yes I know. The guy just winked.
"I thought you'd never ask..."

No comments:

Post a Comment